Tuesday, November 6, 2007

November 5th, 2007
York county Maine

Time: 8 am
Latitude: 43.08 N
Longitude: 70.73 W
Temperature: 11°C(51°F)
Wind speed: calm
Wind Chill:
Clouds: Cloudy
Precipitation: drizzle
Wind direction: West
Relative Humidity:86%
Barometric Pressure: rising
Meters of ice collected:

Though my journal started yesterday, for me the trip began a long time ago and I am not counting the academic studies and staying-in-shape parts that have been on-going for 40 years. Since I knew that I would be participating this year in Antarctica I have been collecting articles of clothes, doing a lot of work organization, and general preparation. The National Science Foundation (NSF) requires a very very thorough medical examination to make sure that everyone is in good physical shape and very healthy. For me, that started in July and took almost 3 months to get through all the appointments. Since I officially became “medically qualified” I am on to packing and preparing lots of household items for my leave. Though I will miss Christmas here in the states it will be fun to celebrate in Antarctica with friends. Since it is not my first time in Antarctica it does make it a bit easier.

No comments: